Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Bucket List (Rob Reiner, 2007) F

Sometimes I should listen to my instincts and not let anyone persuade me otherwise. I was going to skip this geriatric death comedy, despite my love of Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, but my mom guilted me into watching it with her. Living with that guilt would have been more bearable than this film. In The Bucket List, Nicholson and Freeman play two dying men who decide to really live life in their final days. Watching this, I couldn't believe that this was made by the same guy who did This is Spinal Tap 20 years ago. There was absolutely no personality, jokes or taste to be had in either the bland writing or colorless direction. The Bucket List was just a major downer from the beginning right up until the end. I know it was supposed to be sad, but none of the "jokes" distracted from the knowledge that they were going to die in the end. What's even more disappointing are the performances from Nicholson (who's playing "Crazy Jack" once again) and Freeman (who's playing the "Wise Black Man" yet again) which offer nothing.

No comments: