Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Vagabond (Agnès Varda, 1985) D

Agnès Varda's Vagabond tells the story of a young woman named Mona (Sandrine Bonnaire) who roams all around France one winter, trying to find herself or some bullshit garbage like that. I'm sorry, but I'm sick and tired of these films that try to turn selfish, idiotic young brats who run away from their life looking for "freedom" into heroes that we should all strive to be more like. Into the Wild's constant reminders were bad enough, but in Vagabond it's never ending, even though I don't really understand why we should be cheering Mona on. She's a selfish, lazy cunt without an ounce of worth in her body. You know, I could see why people might want her around if she was a great conversationalist or something, but she's also the least interesting person on the planet. I've had more fascinating conversations with my friend's dog than anything that happens between Mona and any of the many minor characters that appear in Vagabond. To top it all off, Vagabond is one of the most boring films I've seen in a while. I wanted to turn it off 30 minutes in when we started randomly following characters who bore little relevance to the plot and Bonnaire's Mona started to get on my nerves. It's such a shame that Varda made this stinker because her earlier Cleo de 5 a 7 really fascinated me and had me looking forward to Vagabond.

No comments: