Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cloverfield (Matt Reeves, 2008) B

Parts of Cloverfield were some of the scariest shit I have ever seen put on film. Seriously. That scene in the tunnel where the baby monsters start attacking the main characters nearly had me curled up in the fetal position. And the part where they are walking between the destructed buildings, 50 stories above the ground, had my stomach doing somersaults. Literally, at one point my dad asked me if I needed a Zanax I was so freaked out. On the other hand, other parts of Cloverfield fall so flat that it nearly destroys Reeves' impressive work. What bugged me most of all was the cameraman Hud (played by T.J. Miller) whose constant wisecracks and "comic relief" were completely unnecessary. Every thing that came out of his mouth was delivered like a joke and really broke up the tension. The beginning also bothered me because it didn't try hard enough for me to care about the characters. They just seemed super whiny and super boring. They weren't as bad as, say, the characters on The Hills (whom I would root for to be killed), but they weren't exactly fascinating either.

No comments: